Effects of prenatal alcohol consumption and alcohol metabolising genes on child growth and neurodevelopment in the ALSPAC study
This study commencing in March 2008 examined the effect of prenatal alcohol consumption (and polymorphisms of several of the genes coding for enzymes involved in alcohol metabolism) on child growth and neurodevelopment. We used an extended mendelian randomisation approach to examine the unconfounded effects of alcohol consumption on the fetus. The study used the well characterised ALSPAC cohort.
- Zuccolo L, Fitz-Simon N, Gray R, Ring SM, Sayal K, Smith GD, Lewis SJ. A non-synonymous variant in ADH1B is strongly associated with prenatal alcohol use in a European sample of pregnant women. Hum Mol Genet. 2009;18(22):4457-66.
- Lewis SJ, Zuccolo L, Davey Smith G, Macleod J, Rodriguez S, Draper ES, Barrow M, Alati R, Sayal K, Ring S, Golding J, Gray R. Fetal Alcohol Exposure and IQ at Age 8: Evidence from a Population-Based Birth-Cohort Study. PLoS One. 2012;7(11):e49407.
- Sayal K, Draper ES, Fraser R, Barrow M, Davey Smith G, Gray R. Light drinking in pregnancy and mid-childhood mental health and learning outcomes. Arch Dis Child. 2013;98(2):107-11.
- Kelly Y, Iacovou M, Quigley MA, Gray R, Wolke D, Kelly J, Sacker A. Light drinking versus abstinence in pregnancy - behavioural and cognitive outcomes in 7-year-old children: a longitudinal cohort study. BJOG. 2013;120(11):1340-7.
- Alati R, Davey Smith G, Lewis SJ, Sayal K, Draper ES, Golding J, Fraser R, Gray R. Effect of prenatal alcohol exposure on childhood academic outcomes: contrasting maternal and paternal associations in the ALSPAC study. PLoS One. 2013;8(10):e74844.
- Sayal K, Heron J, Draper E, Alati R, Lewis SJ, Fraser R, Barrow M, Golding J, Emond A, Davey Smith G, Gray R. Prenatal exposure to binge pattern of alcohol consumption: mental health and learning outcomes at age 11. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2014;23(10):891-9.